Friday, May 21, 2010

Not Your Canned Sloppy Joes

I know that it is not Wednesday but I had to share this recipe I made last night for you!

Sloppy Joes

Ingredients

  • Vegetable Cooking Spray
  • 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
  • 1 Large Sweet Pepper, Finely Chopped (I used the mini red, orange, and yellow peppers about 8 mini)
  • 1 pound Lean Ground Beef (Next time I will try with Turkey)
  • 1 Can of no/salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup drained and rinsed no salt added kidney Beans
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • 4 Whole Wheat Buns Or 4 servings cooked Brown Rice
Directions  

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Add the Onion and Sweet Peppers. Cook for aprox 3 min, stirring. Crumble in meat and cook until browned, Keep breaking it apart with a spoon for about 4 minutes.
While meat is browning mash your Kidney Beans. The recipe I have says to use a fork... (left), I have a bean masher/potato masher (right)
Stir in beans, tomatoes, vinegar, tomato paste, cloves, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 4 minutes. (I cooked on low simmer for 30 minutes before serving) 
Divide the mixture among 4 rolls or brown rice (as pictured above).
Number of Servings: 4
Calories: 415  (approx)

This was so good! Even my four year old gobbled it up! I will be trying it with ground turkey next time! I do think  it made more then 4 servings (at least in our house), as we got about 6 out of ours.


Recipe courtesy of Bob Greene The Best Life Diet Cookbook
The Best Life Diet Cookbook: More than 175 Delicious, Convenient, Family-Friendly Recipes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visit My other Blog 'It's All About Entering Giveaways' for current giveaways I have entered!