Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hershey's Old Fashioned Rich Cocoa Fudge

So when I was a child my grandma made the best fudge in my eyes. It was crumbly and oh so good. Now a days all I have been able to find is the gooey fudge; which is not to my liking. Then I stumbled across my grandmas old recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Directions:

Prep Time: 40 mins Total Time: 3 1/4 hrs

1. Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter foil.

2. In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*.

3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.

4. Boil without stirring, to 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (or until syrup, when dropped in very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of pan. (This can take 20-30 minutes).

5. Remove from heat. Add butter & vanilla.

6. DO NOT STIR! Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees F (lukewarm). (This can take 2 to 2-1/2 hours).
7. Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens & loses some of its gloss. (This can take 15-20 minutes. It really works best if you have someone to 'tag-team' with.) It starts to look more like frosting than a thick syrup when it is ready.

8. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool.

9.Cut into squares.
10. Store wrapped loosely in foil in the refrigerator.
11. *it is very important not to use a wire whisk or the fudge will not set up. Also just stir gently, even though the cocoa will stay floating on top, it will mix in as the mixture heats up.

TIPS~ Batch one I ruined because I over cooked it. Do NOT go by the time cook till 234 degrees F or it will not work. See my mother in law cleaning out the pan with a CROW BAR!!

TIP 2~ Dont over stir.... as soon as it starts to change push it into the pan otherwise it will be to crumbly! NOW it's yummy so enjoy!!!



Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visit My other Blog 'It's All About Entering Giveaways' for current giveaways I have entered!