Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homecooked Breakfast on a Schoolday?

WHAT?!? Yes you read the title right. Homemade breakfast on a weekday. I love giving my kids pancakes and french toast on a weekday before school, especially during the winter. The problem is I am not made of time, I enjoy my sleep, and I have three four kids, counting the husband, to get ready every day. Here is my solution:
The next time you are at the grocery store pick up an extra loaf of bread. I take one day, usually Sunday, and make up all my 'extra' food. So I would make up an entire loaf of french toast. This usually takes about 6 eggs and about 1/2 cup of milk and a dash of vanilla. I love my proctor silex griddle as it makes cooking time a breeze.


I pile them up on a plate and beat the kids with a stick and chase the kids away as they cool.
Next I place a SMALL square of wax paper in between the slices and place them in a ziplock freezer bag. Pop them in the freezer and pull out slices to microwave during the week.




Cost Breakdown:
Loaf of Bread~ .99
6 Eggs~ .50
1/2 cup milk~ .25
$1.74
For $1.74 I can feed my kids a home cooked breakfast and it does not take me longer than 30 minutes on a Sunday. When I cook pancakes for breakfast on the weekend I over cook them and do the same process. There is ALWAYS pancakes and french toast in my freezer. SURE beats $3 and $4 a box for the store bought frozen stuff. I also get to hear I am a good 'cooker' from my kids every day :)
Jess

1 comment:

  1. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to this! That is what C and I do when I make this for him. He said he likes it with the cinnamon better, and I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete

Visit My other Blog 'It's All About Entering Giveaways' for current giveaways I have entered!